In the century and more since the start of St John's (initially as a temporary church in 1873, and then with the current building in 1893) there have been a relatively small number of priests in charge of the parish. Indeed, just three of them (Fr White, Canon James and Fr Salter) gave a 111 years of combined service to the parish!
It is these men, listed below, who have steered the church and its people through ever changing times, all the while maintaining the dignified anglo-catholic worship for which St John's is justly known.
Vicars and Priests
Rev. J.H. White
Priest-in-Charge of the Tin Church, 1873-1893
Priest-in-Charge, 1893-1898
Rt. Rev. John M. Steward, Bp
Priest-in-Charge, 1898-1904
Rev. Canon R.H.L. James
Vicar, 1904-1954
Rev. S.J. Forrest
Vicar, 1954-1961
Rev. R. Salter
Vicar, 1962-1998
Rev. J. Cope
Vicar, 1999-2007
Rev. E.J. Lewis
Priest-in-Charge, 2010-2011
Rev. D.E. Stevenson
Priest-in-Charge, 2011-2013
Vicar, 2013-2023